In the premises of the Faculty of Political Sciences in Banja Luka, the results of the second out of three surveys on attitudes of Republika Srpska citizens on NATO and Euro-Atlantic integration were presented. The results of the research were presented by Mr. Aleksandar Jankovic, co-author of the research, with the presence of Mr. Aleksandar Draganić, Research and Policy Development Coordinator in Eda, academia and media representatives.
The most important research results can be summarized as follows:
- Most of respondents have a positive attitude towards integration of BiH to the EU (60.1%) and a negative attitude towards integration of BiH to NATO (79.8%).
- One part of the respondents provided conditional support for integration of BiH to NATO (9.1%) and the EU (10.1%), considering that BiH should enter NATO and the EU only if Serbia does the same.
- Respondents have a more positive attitude towards integration of BiH to the EU than towards NATO.
- In the period between the two surveys (October 2019 – February 2020), the percentage of negative attitudes towards integration of BiH to NATO was increased from 64.3% to 79.8%. The percentage of negative attitudes towards integration of BiH to the EU was also increased from 21.1% to 39.9%.
- Attitudes towards joining NATO and the EU are correlated (there is a slight tendency for respondents who are against joining NATO to be also against EU and vice versa).
The study was conducted using the CATI method on a multiphase multi-stage sample of 1000 adult citizens of Republika Srpska between February 3 and 7, 2020.
The survey was conducted using the CATI (Computer-Assisted Telephone Interviewing) methodology on a multiphase multi-stage sample of 1,000 adult citizens of Republika Srpska in period between February 3rd and 7th, 2020.
Research findings are available in local language at: http://bit.ly/3cIk2cZ
The project “Starting a Discussion on NATO Integration in Republika Srpska” is implemented by Eda and funded by the US Embassy in BiH.